Wednesday 21 April 2010

Initial Ideas

Initial Ideas

Here is a video showing the time when I presented my final animation idea to the class and my tutor. It also documents the feedback I received. It does not, however, show the feedback that I received for the idea I actually went with.


Where And How Did You Get Your Ideas? What Research Have You Done?
I got my ideas mainly due to the animations we watched as a class (e.g. Stanley). I found that many of them were depressing and gloomy, and wanted to make an animation that was cheerful and happy. I researched a few animations on YouTube, but after getting the feedback and changing my idea, I studied an animation called 'The Seed', the Fleet Foxes' animated video for 'Mykonos', and the paper cut out 'Folk Routes' advert.

The Seed, By Johnny Kelly


Mykonos


Folk Routes


The Two Ideas That I Would Like To Develop In My Animation Sequence.
The one idea I really liked was the one of the heart beating in the animation 'The Seed'. I decided to add that to my animation, so when choosing a song to animate to, the Noisettes 'Wild Young Hearts' seemed to fit perfectly. The other idea that I wanted to develop was the material used - paper. Paper cut outs were also used in the other two animations I studied, but I decided to keep mine mainly 2D, to save time.

The Noisettes, Wild Young Hearts


Why Are Research And Drawing Skills Important To The Animation Development Process?
By researching, I got ideas that I then developed, using drawing skills. Research helped me decide the 'story', technique I wanted to use, and also choose the song I wanted to illustrate the lyrics of. By using drawing skills I played about with the images or ideas I developed from the lyrics of the song 'Wild Young Hearts'.

Factors affecting initial ideas and development work.
The first factor was the knowledge I had gained from the first year of animation, playing about with different techniques and watching professional animator's work. By having access to industry standard software and equipment, having an experienced teacher and two technicians on hand to help, and having lessons with professional animators Natalie Hinchley and Stuart Messinger, I was able to attempt a slightly more complex animation than I would have been in another school.

No comments:

Post a Comment